Thursday, December 16, 2010

Starting to get impatient - Day 1

So after quite a few delays in taking my licensing exams, I have finally passed.  The news arrived exactly one week ago.  After dropping off my application for my actual license, I have been in limbo.  It's actually starting to bug me!  Most people said it would take only a couple of hours, but it has now been three full days since they've been holding it and I'm running out of BS things to do.  I've decided to list a detailed schedule of my waiting...

Day 1
9:15 AM - Lloyd District
Dropped off my application, not before circling the building 3 times for good luck.  I tell the woman to call me when it's ready.

9:35 AM - Hollywood District
Arrive at 24 hour fitness with the intent to workout and then pickup my license.  I notice a spinning class starts at 10, so I go for it.  I notice there is an unusual amount of cute girls in this spinning class (Let's face it, not many hotties spin).

10:03 AM: 24 Hour Fitness
I feel like I'm going to die.

10:08 AM - 24 Hour Fitness
Instructor says that we have finished our "warm up" and now I'm positive that I'm going to die.

10:10 AM - 24 Hour Fitness
Taking an extended break on the bike.  I look at the clock and convince myself that the class is probably only 30 minutes long.

10:14 AM - 24 Hour Fitness
We start spinning hard, uh oh

10:16 AM - 24 Hour Fitness
After sweating profusely, I realize that my shirt is not going to evaporate the moisture... even worse, I start to remember that the Mexican food I had the day earlier wasn't the best fuel for my body... too much cumin can give the wrong impression and I definitely didn't want to do that... at least not here :-\

10:25 AM - 24 Hour Fitness
I realize that I was only tricking myself earlier, this class is a full hour long... I make eye contact with the instructor to make sure he knows to call the ambulance when I collapse.

11:30 AM - 24 Hour Fitness
Miraculously, I make it out of the class with enough will power to go lie down on a mat for 30 minutes before leaving.  Get to the car, check the phone... nada.

12:18 PM - SW Waterfront
After stopping at Subway, I get back home to eat my sandwich while finishing the last half of "The Dark Knight"... what a great movie!

2:10 PM - SW Waterfront
Head to the coffee shop to hang out and think... which is apparently what PhD's do for for a living... no wonder they don't have any money

4:15 PM - SW Waterfront
After calling to check on the license, I get word that a board meeting will keep the application from being seen until Wednesday.  After expressing my concern to the baristas, I go home and patiently wait for dinnertime.

6:40 PM - Sellwood District
Tried to go to El Palenque for dinner with Katy, Kevin, and Mythili... closed for the day!  We audible and go to A Cena for dinner followed by Papa Haydn for dessert.  This is then followed up by having some scotch at Katy's place before calling it a night.  Note: Kevin pours me a quarter shot of scotch from a bottle I bought him as a gift.  Moral of the story: next time buy cheap whiskey instead.

4 comments:

  1. A Tuesday 10AM spinning class? I'd think that'd be the soccer moms after they drop kiddies off at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't been to spin class for a while, eh? I'm looking forward to having that experience soon. Maybe you should join me. I assume your CPR certification is current?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of denigrating me in your daily recap, you could have / can simply:
    1) Asked for more;
    2) Gotten more; or
    3) Still have more or the whole bottle :P

    You were chatting with Katy's dad and he and the rest of us wanted less than a 1/4-shot, so with intention of being considerate I didn't want to make you look like a boozer! I was cherishing your gift in the quirky way that I do and then was happy to bring it when scornfully asked to.

    I rest my defensive case and say thanks once more for the scotch! Perhaps I will have a 1/4-shot while relishing my freshly-waxed car.

    ReplyDelete