Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Confessions

Bryan pointed out of one of my guilty pleasures last week: buffets.  There is a new buffet that just opened in Newberg called "Ohana".  What makes it special is that it claims to be a seafood and sushi buffet.  I'm always interested and some people said it was pretty good.  It's not worth much when someone in Newberg says that food is "good" as I've learned from past experience.  Nevertheless, I was curious and had to try it out anyways.  

On my way to lunch, I see a buffet sign and start getting excited.  As I turn in, I get even more excited to see that there are other people eating there.  As I walk in, I see a bunch of white workers and a red flag pops up... I had assumed that it was asian run/owned, which means that the owner would be working as the host to save money while making sure everything is going well... and simply just because that's the way asians like to run their restaurants.  

Admittedly, it felt somber inside and the food at the buffet tables looked old from afar.  So I stand there for a little bit at the entrance and finally see a colored guy... relief!  I had made it and was ready to eat.  Suddenly a woman addresses me and says, "Welcome to Izzy's."  Shock flows through my veins and my bones start ringing... The emotion and confusion slowly settled just enough for me to shriek, "What did you just say?"  She looked at me incredulously.  After gathering myself a little more, I calmly asked her to please repeat what she said... "Welcome to Izzy's?"  O-M-G  wtf, this must be a joke... I look at some of the patrons, they were old, fat, white people... I WAS at Izzy's!  I immediately tell them that I am lost and that I'm looking to eat at a buffet.  They looked at me funny as I clarify that I was looking for Ohana and needed directions to get there.  They look at me dumbfounded, or simply just with their default looks, and I decide that I must go.  I left as I figured that I must've turned a little too early.

Upon my arrival at Ohana, I was relieved.  The parking lot was full, I was greeted by a Chinese guy (likely the owner), and there were skinny patrons sitting down.  Food appeared fresh and I was ready to eat!  

No comments:

Post a Comment