It's been two full months since my last post. Some of the delay has been because of school. It also has to do with a lack of solid ideas. I normally don't let out secrets, especially having to do with my own thought process (unless explicitly asked). That being said, here goes number two.
It's that time of year again. Another brutal winter term is getting wrapped up with premature sunshine during finals. I've warned people to 'Beware the ides of March' many times. It used to be a joke, but now I realize it's truly just a tragedy.
The saying comes from Julius Caesar, a play credited to Shakespeare. In the play, a soothsayer tells Caesar to "Beware the ides of March," which is also known as March 15th. When the day comes, Caesar walks by and makes a remark to the soothsayer to point out that nothing has happened. He was on his way to a senate meeting, which would be the place that his best friend would help to stab him in the back (literally).
To me, the tragedy isn't about Caesar getting betrayed by a close friend... it is the fact that Caesar had a tip beforehand and still dismissed it. I've found that people generally don't like to take advice. For this reason, I really try not to give any. It makes me feel cold hearted at times, because I've watched things go bad when it was pretty obvious to see what would happen. I still do have a human side to me, as I do feel bad about it at times. To maintain some humanity, I've started to sort of play devil's advocate (aka coaching) in recent years. Some people have referred to this side of me as 'Dr. Phil'... but of course you can trust me when I tell you to "be real". This is because I don't have a mustache like the actual Dr. Phil... it looks like he has something to hide!
Anyhow, it's been a way to get people to analyze their own situations from a different point of view... eventually having people do at least one of two things: one, identify possible weaknesses in their own ideas... and two, strengthen their confidence in whatever choice they make. Honestly, playing devil's advocate has been a good experience for me. It's allowed me to see into the thought process of others and to notice subtle differences between people. For example, I've now learned to appreciate how real asians think. Being a pseudo-asian (ABC, twinkie, banana, etc...), it's always been difficult to figure out what it would be like if I were in fact a 5 star asian (fresh off the boat). It's really beyond my own comprehension, but at least I know what I would look like.
In case you didn't know, all asians like tennis. It's not racism, it's a scientific fact. Let me refer you to the grading system below. For reference, I'm a 1 star.
*Asians get a star for each of the following that they do on a regular basis:
-Look and pass off as asian
-Speak in asian
-Read/Write in asian
-Eat rice for breakfast
-Enjoy tennis even though they have no skills or coordination whatsoever
That's it for this post, I've still got finals to work on as well as a senate meeting on Sunday.
Catch you all later...
Enjoy the moment!
Don't tell me that I didn't warn you :-P




I did not know there was a unified country of Asia to speak/read/write "Asian" yet. Not until China takes over anyways, or when North Korea brings the moon home. http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/01/27/kim-jong-il-to-drag.html
ReplyDeleteHow do you only have one star? I counted at least two.
ReplyDeletei like the fob/tennis pic...wonder who took it? ^_~ haha
ReplyDelete