Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Season of Change

I have recently entered a new era of my life.  The so-called "real world" is more than just a reality show on MTV.  Life has gone from GTL to WES.  Yes, for those of you that are wondering....
GTL = Gym/Tan/Laundry
WES = Work/Eat/Sleep
Okay, I'm just kidding.  If any of you know me, WES is not how I run my life and I intend to keep it that way.  I'm basically doing what everybody does when they get a job, I'm making self-improvements!  Of course not everybody makes improvements, but I'm a laid-back perfectionist.  What's this mean?  It means that I make improvements without stressing out in the process.  Here are some changes I've made to adapt to my newfound lifestyle:

Being social-

If someone wants to hang out, I will do what I can to meet up.  I've definitely lost a little bit of sleep here and there just to enjoy the good company of the people closest to me.  I have even met new people, which has been a blast.  Only issue is that sometimes I have to sacrifice time for my hobbies to do this.  On the flip-side, my hobbies have also enabled me to spend quality time with friends.

Hobbies- Filling out my life with new hobbies.  Brewing my own beer, enjoying whiskey/whisky, drinking wine (being an alcoholic apparently... don't judge), volleyball, snowboarding, travel, eating like I have a show on the food channel, interior design, cooking, learning languages (mandarin is first on the list, then either a Latin or Germanic language), golf (projected renewed hobby)

Yes, life is now full hobbies.  I need to cut one or two out, so maybe I'll just find a wife and remove "interior design" and "cooking" from the list... just kidding.  Anyhow, it's nice to get the exercise and culture into my life because they lacked a little during school.

Regular home maintenance- Painting my home, buying furniture, designing closet space/shelves, organizing everything else, laundry, cleaning, washing the car

So these are things that most men don't do.  I probably wouldn't do these myself, but now that I have my own place and am living alone, it's kind of necessary for me to take care of all these things without thinking twice about it.  To be honest, it is actually as therapeutic as it is unnatural for me to do these things (except maybe washing the car)

Church- House church, "Sunday church", serving

I've finally found a church.  What drew me to Solid Rock?  Well, it would be that it lives up to it's description: A Jesus Church.  Having been schooled in the academics of the Bible as a youngster, I've been feeling the need to find a place to learn about God and the Bible in similar and relevant fashions.  Both of these I have found at Solid Rock.  On top of that, I've also found a great house church.  It's always about being real, and I've finally found the place that people are being real.  It's pretty sweet and will have to say that it's exactly what I needed.  With a regular work schedule comes free time, I'm trying to fill it out with volunteering in any way, shape, or form.

Meditation-

Okay, I don't actually sit around and hum.  By meditation, I really mean being in deep thought.  This is something I've always done throughout my life, but the total time I spent doing this waned during college.  Dwelling on life is something that I believe everybody should do.  If you need to sit on the ground and hum to do it, then by all means... do it!  As for me, my ADHD allows my mind to ponder on its own.  Yes, I'm admitting that I have ADHD and I'm pretty sure that if you're reading this, then you aren't surprised by my admitting to having ADHD.



There you have it, this is how I am living my life outside of sleep and work.  Pretty simple life for a simple person
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment